Inside the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator Turkey court acquits four journalists after Istanbul protest coverage Sohrab Barkat’s airport arrest defies court directive GIJN opens submissions for 2026 Sigma Awards in data journalism Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News Former editor urges China's media restraint amid Japan diplomatic row Inside the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator Turkey court acquits four journalists after Istanbul protest coverage Sohrab Barkat’s airport arrest defies court directive GIJN opens submissions for 2026 Sigma Awards in data journalism Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News Former editor urges China's media restraint amid Japan diplomatic row
Logo
Janu
Newsroom

Punjab government rejects Hamid Mir's tweet

 JournalismPakistan.com |  Published 5 years ago

Join our WhatsApp channel

Punjab government rejects Hamid Mir's tweet

ISLAMABAD—The Punjab government has rejected a tweet by Geo News presenter Hamid Mir in which he claims that the provincial government was not coming clean on the number of COVID-19 cases among the Tableeghi Jammat Markaz in Raiwind.

In his tweet in Urdu, Mir said that the Punjab government was informed about many positive cases in the headquarters of the Tableeghi Jammat on March 24. Still, Chief Minister Usman Buzdar ignored this information.

Mir also attached a video of the meeting where Buzdar was being informed about the COVID cases among the followers of Tableeghi Jammat.  

In its tweet, the Punjab government said: "The content of video and the wording used in this tweet of @HamidMirPAK are not the same."

It added that since last week, "Tableeghi Marakiz" have been declared quarantines, and people are being tested.

The tweet called for responsible behavior at this critical juncture. "In this national health emergency we expect responsible behaviour from all sections of society."  

 

Dive Deeper

Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News

Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News

 November 26, 2025: Najam Sethi will host a new prime-time show on Dunya News following his departure from Samaa TV, signaling a key move in Pakistan’s competitive media landscape.

Shalimar Recording Company to terminate all staff

Shalimar Recording Company to terminate all staff

 November 26, 2025: Shalimar Recording and Broadcasting Company (SRBC) will cease operations and terminate all personnel by Nov 30, 2025, as ordered under court-supervised liquidation, affecting hundreds of employees.

Newsroom
Inside the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection

Inside the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection

 November 29, 2025 Dr. Nauman Niaz owns the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection. From Bradman's bats to Ali's gloves, explore rare cricket and sports treasures.


Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention

Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention

 November 28, 2025 Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani is released after over a year in detention, raising questions on press freedom, remaining trials, and EU calls for journalist protections.


The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards

The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards

 November 28, 2025 As newsrooms move from text to video, journalists face new challenges in accuracy, ethics, and verification. Here is how the shift is reshaping journalism standards today.


EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility

EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility

 November 28, 2025 EU states back stronger rules to increase online visibility for independent journalism, aiming to protect media pluralism and safeguard access to reliable information across digital platforms.


India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator

India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator

 November 28, 2025 India’s Supreme Court urges the creation of an independent regulator and pre-screening rules for social media content, signaling major shifts in digital media oversight and compliance.


Popular Stories