Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator Turkey court acquits four journalists after Istanbul protest coverage Sohrab Barkat’s airport arrest defies court directive GIJN opens submissions for 2026 Sigma Awards in data journalism Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News Former editor urges China's media restraint amid Japan diplomatic row UN alarm over India's media crackdown after Pahalgam attack Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator Turkey court acquits four journalists after Istanbul protest coverage Sohrab Barkat’s airport arrest defies court directive GIJN opens submissions for 2026 Sigma Awards in data journalism Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News Former editor urges China's media restraint amid Japan diplomatic row UN alarm over India's media crackdown after Pahalgam attack
Logo
Janu
If Veena were an editor

Brunei shuts down newspaper

 JournalismPakistan.com |  Published 9 years ago |  Waseem Abbasi

Join our WhatsApp channel

Brunei shuts down newspaper

ISLAMABAD – The Brunei Times, a leading newspaper in Brunei has been ordered to shut down for running a story about an increase in Hajj and Umra visa fee by the Saudi government.

The paper quoted an official of the Saudi embassy as saying the hike for the Brunei residents was the result of Saudi Arabia’s economic problems.

However, the embassy complained to the King of Brunei that the official quoted in the story was not authorized to speak, so the paper should be closed down. Only a one day notice was served on the newspaper to close shop.

The paper ran a notice just under its masthead Sunday which said: “This is to notify readers, our stakeholders and the public in general that The Brunei Times will cease media and publication operations. Tomorrow’s (November 7, 2016) edition will be its final.”

About 175 staff will be rendered jobless as a result of the paper’s closure.

"The government had been angry with the paper for quite sometime for its work but the Saudi Embassy story proved to be the final straw," said an employee requesting anonymity.

An official at the paper said: "This was a decision by the board of directors. We have been operating on a deficit for 10 years and so based on today's economy this was no longer feasible."

(The writer is an investigative journalist with The News, Islamabad. He worked with The Brunei Times in Brunei for several years).

 

 

Don't Miss These

Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News

Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News

 November 26, 2025: Najam Sethi will host a new prime-time show on Dunya News following his departure from Samaa TV, signaling a key move in Pakistan’s competitive media landscape.

Shalimar Recording Company to terminate all staff

Shalimar Recording Company to terminate all staff

 November 26, 2025: Shalimar Recording and Broadcasting Company (SRBC) will cease operations and terminate all personnel by Nov 30, 2025, as ordered under court-supervised liquidation, affecting hundreds of employees.

Newsroom
Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention

Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention

 November 28, 2025 Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani is released after over a year in detention, raising questions on press freedom, remaining trials, and EU calls for journalist protections.


The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards

The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards

 November 28, 2025 As newsrooms move from text to video, journalists face new challenges in accuracy, ethics, and verification. Here is how the shift is reshaping journalism standards today.


EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility

EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility

 November 28, 2025 EU states back stronger rules to increase online visibility for independent journalism, aiming to protect media pluralism and safeguard access to reliable information across digital platforms.


India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator

India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator

 November 28, 2025 India’s Supreme Court urges the creation of an independent regulator and pre-screening rules for social media content, signaling major shifts in digital media oversight and compliance.


Turkey court acquits four journalists after Istanbul protest coverage

Turkey court acquits four journalists after Istanbul protest coverage

 November 28, 2025 A Turkish court has acquitted four journalists arrested during Istanbul’s 2025 protests, a rare legal win for press freedom but a warning about chronic risks for reporters covering demonstrations.


Popular Stories