Hamid Mir defends detained journalist Sohrab Barkat Inside the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator Turkey court acquits four journalists after Istanbul protest coverage Sohrab Barkat’s airport arrest defies court directive GIJN opens submissions for 2026 Sigma Awards in data journalism Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News Hamid Mir defends detained journalist Sohrab Barkat Inside the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator Turkey court acquits four journalists after Istanbul protest coverage Sohrab Barkat’s airport arrest defies court directive GIJN opens submissions for 2026 Sigma Awards in data journalism Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News
Logo
Janu
Cricket insights like no other

'Fake Sheikh' reporter charged with conspiracy to pervert justice

 JournalismPakistan.com |  Published 10 years ago

Join our WhatsApp channel

'Fake Sheikh' reporter charged with conspiracy to pervert justice

LONDON: Mazher Mahmood, a British journalist whose undercover work posing as a "fake Sheikh" led to a number of high-profile criminal court cases, was charged on Tuesday with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

Mahmood, well-known for revealing wrongdoing amongst politicians, TV and film stars and even royalty, was suspended by Rupert Murdoch's Sun newspaper in July last year after the collapse of a celebrity trial in which he was a main witness.

The journalist had given evidence in the drugs trial of Tulisa Contostavlos, a former judge on the British version of the "X Factor" TV talent show.

She had denied being involved in the supply of drugs to Mahmood while he posed as a film producer, but her trial collapsed with the judge saying he suspected the reporter had lied to the court.

Nick Vamos, Deputy Head of Special Crime at Britain's Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it was in the public interest to charge Mahmood and another man, Alan Smith.

"This decision comes after it was alleged that Mr Smith agreed with Mr Mahmood to change his statement to police as part of a trial in July 2014, and that Mr Mahmood then misled the court," Vamos said.

Mahmood, who will appear at London's Westminster Magistrates court on Oct. 30, said he denied the charge.

"I will vigorously contest it at court," he said in a statement. "In the meantime I have nothing further to say."

Mahmood previously worked for Murdoch's News of the World tabloid, which the media mogul was forced to shut in 2011 when it was disclosed journalists had hacked voicemails on mobile phones of thousands of people, including that belonging to a murdered schoolgirl, to find exclusive stories.

That led to the jailing of a number of senior staff from the paper including its former editor Andy Coulson.

Rebekah Brooks, who returned this month to run Murdoch's British newspaper arm News UK after a four-year hiatus following the hacking scandal, was acquitted of involvement after a high-profile trial.

She often cited Mahmood's work during her defense as examples of good investigative journalism.

Mahmood carried out the inquiry which led to the 2011 conviction of three Pakistani cricketers for taking bribes to fix incidents in a match against England.

In his most famous exclusive in 2001, he posed as an Arab sheikh to dupe Sophie, Countess of Wessex, who is married to Queen Elizabeth's youngest son Prince Edward, into making indiscreet comments about other members of the royal family and senior politicians.

News UK said it noted the decision to prosecute Mahmood and would await the outcome of the criminal trial.

"He remains suspended from The Sun," a spokeswoman said.- Reuters

Don't Miss These

Hamid Mir defends detained journalist Sohrab Barkat

Hamid Mir defends detained journalist Sohrab Barkat

 November 30, 2025: Veteran anchor Hamid Mir has publicly defended detained journalist Sohrab Barkat, questioning state actions after Barkat’s airport arrest and raising international concern over press freedoms in Pakistan.

Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News

Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News

 November 26, 2025: Najam Sethi will host a new prime-time show on Dunya News following his departure from Samaa TV, signaling a key move in Pakistan’s competitive media landscape.

Shalimar Recording Company to terminate all staff

Shalimar Recording Company to terminate all staff

 November 26, 2025: Shalimar Recording and Broadcasting Company (SRBC) will cease operations and terminate all personnel by Nov 30, 2025, as ordered under court-supervised liquidation, affecting hundreds of employees.

Newsroom
Inside the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection

Inside the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection

 November 29, 2025 Dr. Nauman Niaz owns the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection. From Bradman's bats to Ali's gloves, explore rare cricket and sports treasures.


Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention

Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention

 November 28, 2025 Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani is released after over a year in detention, raising questions on press freedom, remaining trials, and EU calls for journalist protections.


The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards

The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards

 November 28, 2025 As newsrooms move from text to video, journalists face new challenges in accuracy, ethics, and verification. Here is how the shift is reshaping journalism standards today.


EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility

EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility

 November 28, 2025 EU states back stronger rules to increase online visibility for independent journalism, aiming to protect media pluralism and safeguard access to reliable information across digital platforms.


India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator

India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator

 November 28, 2025 India’s Supreme Court urges the creation of an independent regulator and pre-screening rules for social media content, signaling major shifts in digital media oversight and compliance.


Popular Stories