Hong Kong fire tests media safety, coverage and crisis reporting Hamid Mir defends detained journalist Sohrab Barkat Inside the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator Turkey court acquits four journalists after Istanbul protest coverage Sohrab Barkat’s airport arrest defies court directive GIJN opens submissions for 2026 Sigma Awards in data journalism Hong Kong fire tests media safety, coverage and crisis reporting Hamid Mir defends detained journalist Sohrab Barkat Inside the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility India Supreme Court calls for an independent social media regulator Turkey court acquits four journalists after Istanbul protest coverage Sohrab Barkat’s airport arrest defies court directive GIJN opens submissions for 2026 Sigma Awards in data journalism
Logo
Janu
Pranks and newsroom tales

Two Philippine journos injured in blast

 JournalismPakistan.com |  Published 11 years ago

Join our WhatsApp channel

Two Philippine journos injured in blast

Two journalists at a major Philippine TV broadcaster were injured on Saturday after a bomb exploded as they were covering fighting between soldiers and hardline Muslim rebels, a military commander said.

 

A reporter and cameraman at ABC-5 were among at least six civilians hurt by the improvised explosive device that exploded in Saudi Ampatuan town in the troubled southern island of Mindanao, said Colonel Edgardo Gonzales.

 

Six soldiers were also wounded in the explosion, the military added.

 

"This morning... as our soldiers were on a security patrol, they were hit by an IED. By coincidence the civilians and the TV crew were there," Gonzales told AFP.

 

The head of ABC-5's news division, Luchi Cruz-Valdes said cameraman Adrian Bulatao's injury was "serious" with shrapnel wounds over the right side of his body.

 

"Bulatao is in shock but conscious, in pain," she said in an SMS message.

 

TV reporter Jeff Caparas was also wounded but was still on his feet, she added.

 

"It was a good thing they were wearing protective helmets and vests," said regional military spokesman Colonel Dickson Hermoso.

 

Caparas later said over the TV station that his crew had stopped to cover an earlier bomb blast when another explosion took place.

 

The news team had been covering days of fighting between government forces and members of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF), a breakaway Muslim rebel group opposed to peace talks with the main Muslim organization.

 

The military has said that 52 rebels and one soldier had been killed since the government launched an offensive against the BIFF almost a week ago.

 

The military operation was launched after the government successfully concluded peace talks with the main Muslim rebel group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in order to end decades of fighting that has claimed tens of thousands of lives.

 

The BIFF is opposed to the talks and has previously launched attacks such as bombings in order to derail the peace process. - AFP

 

Explore Further

Hamid Mir defends detained journalist Sohrab Barkat

Hamid Mir defends detained journalist Sohrab Barkat

 November 30, 2025: Veteran anchor Hamid Mir has publicly defended detained journalist Sohrab Barkat, questioning state actions after Barkat’s airport arrest and raising international concern over press freedoms in Pakistan.

Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News

Najam Sethi to debut new show on Dunya News

 November 26, 2025: Najam Sethi will host a new prime-time show on Dunya News following his departure from Samaa TV, signaling a key move in Pakistan’s competitive media landscape.

Shalimar Recording Company to terminate all staff

Shalimar Recording Company to terminate all staff

 November 26, 2025: Shalimar Recording and Broadcasting Company (SRBC) will cease operations and terminate all personnel by Nov 30, 2025, as ordered under court-supervised liquidation, affecting hundreds of employees.

Newsroom
Hong Kong fire tests media safety, coverage and crisis reporting

Hong Kong fire tests media safety, coverage and crisis reporting

 November 30, 2025 The deadly Wang Fuk Court fire in Hong Kong puts strain on newsrooms covering mass-casualty events, highlighting challenges in press access, verification, and reporter safety during chaotic disasters.


Inside the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection

Inside the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection

 November 29, 2025 Dr. Nauman Niaz owns the world's largest private sports memorabilia collection. From Bradman's bats to Ali's gloves, explore rare cricket and sports treasures.


Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention

Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani released after detention

 November 28, 2025 Tunisian commentator Sonia Dahmani is released after over a year in detention, raising questions on press freedom, remaining trials, and EU calls for journalist protections.


The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards

The shift from text to video reshapes journalism standards

 November 28, 2025 As newsrooms move from text to video, journalists face new challenges in accuracy, ethics, and verification. Here is how the shift is reshaping journalism standards today.


EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility

EU states move to boost independent journalism visibility

 November 28, 2025 EU states back stronger rules to increase online visibility for independent journalism, aiming to protect media pluralism and safeguard access to reliable information across digital platforms.


Popular Stories