JournalismPakistan.com September 04, 2014
ISLAMABAD: A spokesman for the Jang Group says Geo TV could be shut down any day after incurring losses of Rs5 billion in the aftermath of the attack on Hamid Mir.
The revelation was made by The News Thursday in a front page story headlined: What is a parliament that is silent! A spokesman for the group regretted that despite publishing an advertisement drawing the attention of the parliamentarians and other leaders for two successive days, no serious effort has been forthcoming.
The paper pointed fingers at the ISI again, claiming it had evidence some intelligence officers had a hand in getting Geo closed.
The spokesman said written complaints were made to the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA), letters written to the prime minister and information minister, and it was also conveyed verbally that the Supreme Court, Lahore High Court and Sindh High Court have termed Geo’s closure illegal and ordered its restoration but the government is powerless.
Geo Television Network claims it has been more than four months that all their channels are 80 percent off air while the remaining 20 percent have been relegated to the last numbers of the spectrum.
"The group has so far been paying salaries on its own but it now has no more capacity," the spokesman said.
Geo’s troubles began in the hours after the attack in April on Hamid Mir who was shot and injured by unidentified gunmen in Karachi. Soon afterwards the channel began claiming the ISI head Lt. Gen Zaheerul Islam was responsible.
Dawn, September 27, 2018
If my call is so important to them, why don’t they answer it for 22 minutes?
How come when I want to, but something specific online is the only item out of stock.
When I get into a queue or lane going fast, the moment I get in, it becomes the slowest and refuses to budge.Read more... | Archives
A study conducted by JournalismPakistan.com and Communications Research Strategies on the economic situation of slain journalists' families and journalists displaced due to security threats.